244 HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
on the railway at Grange Road Station on January 23rd, 1895), R. West, J. Hay ward and H. Skinner, firemen. One of the engines was placed at Forest Row and a separate Brigade formed there. The two sections met to test the engines at Moat pond and they were found to act admirably. Of course, the completion of the work and the formation of a Brigade had to be celebrated by a dinner at the Crown Hotel. Helmets, boots and tunics were provided for the firemen out of voluntary subscriptions collected in the neighbourhood. The first fire the Brigade was called to was at Wilderwick, where two large haystacks were burnt, but some stables close by were saved.
The re-built engine was too large to go back to the church tower and it was for a time kept in a shed in the Crown yard; then it was removed to the Police Station; and when the late Mr. James Cooper became captain of the Brigade he found a place for it at the rear of his premises in the High Street. Later the premises now used by the Central Meat Company were specially built as a Fire Brigade Station by the late Mr. A. Hastie, and finally the enginefound a habitation at the present building adjoining Mr. Heasman's corn stores. The existing engine was purchased in 1884 with subscriptions collected by Mr. A. H. Hastie, and its reception in the town on October 21st of that year was the occasion of great public rejoicing.
Up to March 25th, 1895, the affairs of the Brigade were managed by a Committee elected by the Vestry, and since that date the Brigade has been under the control of the Urban Council. Mr. Evelyn A. Head and Mr. H. Young have acted as Captains during that period.
THE COUNTY COURT.
The first County Court was held in East Grinstead on Wednesday, April 28th, 1847, when Judge Furner commenced monthly sittings at the Dorset Arms Hotel. In 1858, owing to the small amount of business, the Judge, despite a memorial to the contrary, abandoned monthly sittings and held his Court but six times in