PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS AND IMPEOVEMENTS. 245
each year. This remained the custom until 1904, when Judge Scully instituted a system which gives five Court days to East Grinstead in one year and six in the next. The Court was held at the Dorset Arms until Thompson's corn store was turned into a Court House, when the sittings were transferred to the more commodious building and continued there after its conversion into the Public Hall. Then for a time the Police Court was utilised and finally the Queen's Hall came into use. Judge Furner, when first appointed, was a solicitor, and almost the only member of this branch of the legal profession who secured such an appointment. He got it by virtue of being Judge of the " Court of Requests" or " Court of Conscience" at Brighton, a civil court held in the larger centres for the summary recovery of debts under 40s. and which were superseded by the County Courts. Judge Furner afterwards qualified as a barrister. He remained in office for 30 years, the late Mr. Martineau, one of the most able County Court judges ever appointed, coming to East Grinstead as Judge for the first time on October 24th, 1877. He died on September 30th, 1903, and Judge Scully, a son-in-law of the late Speaker of the House of Commons (now Lord Selby), entered on his duties on November 1st of that year. The duties of High Bailiff were at first performed by the late Mr. Lewis, of Lewes. Mr. T. Cramp was appointed to this now obsolete office on March 25th, 1855, and resigned it in July, 1891, a month before his death. The office was then amalgamated with that of Registrar. The first Clerk to the Court was the late Mr. Edgar Blaker, of Lewes, with the late Mr. William Pearless as his assistant. The latter in time became the first Registrar and he was succeeded, in 1873, by his son, Mr. J. R. Pearless, who still occujues the position.
THE POST OFFICE.
In the early days the Post Offices of the kingdom were open on Sundays the same as week-days, but in 1846 there was an agitation set afoot in the town, and the