250 HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
November, 1896, Mr. R. P. Crawfurd resigned the honorary secretaryship of the Club, and during the last 10 years this office has been filled by various members, including Mr. F. Maplesden and Mr. E. T. Berry.
In 1901 an excellent pavilion, well worthy of the ground, was added to the general amenities of the cricket field, at a cost of £300, largely by the exertions of Mr. F. S. White, then captain of the Club.
Cricket, we fear, since the advent of golf, does not hold the same place as formerly in local affection, or indeed in the country generally, but in East Grinstead its roots struck deep, and with such famous traditions behind it, of skill and knowledge of the game, unusual in country towns, the Club will never allow itself, even in days of partial eclipse, to despond or to forget the palmy days of its pre-eminence among all surrounding clubs.
East Grinstead was the fourth place in the British Islands to boast of a cottage hospital for the reception of those suffering from accident or illness not easily treated in their own homes. The first of the kind was opened at Cranleigh, in Surrey, in 1859, and the little seed planted there has since borne fruit throughout the length and breadth of the land. The great cities and towns had long had their hospitals and dispensaries, but in the large tracts of country between these centres of civilisation there was, prior to the year stated, no refuge to which poor creatures suffering from accident could be taken but the Union Workhouse. Fowey followed the example of Cranleigh a year later, and in 1861 the third institution of the kind sprang into existence at Bourton-on-the-Water.
The Rev. C. W. Payne Crawfurd was then curate there, and he rendered very material assistance to its energetic surgeon and founder, Mr. J. Moore. On his return to East Grinstead he was able to render similar aid to Mr. J. H. Rogers, then assistant warden and afterwards warden of Sackville College. Mr. Rogers then