PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS. 251
lived at Green Hedges, where Mr. R. W. Pearless now resides, and he hired the cottage in the lane immediately opposite his own residence. It was, and still is, a delightfully situated cottage, its charming garden being well bedecked with beautiful blooms and shrubs, the cultivation of which was a great hobby with the doctor. At his own expense he added a spacious room at the back of the house, amply lighted by two large windows. He was materially helped by local residents, one lady supplying the entire furniture of a room, another person giving all the medicinal and surgical appliances, and others helping in various wrays. It was opened in 1863 and gave accommodation for seven patients. For a short time Mr. Rogers carried it on almost entirely at his own expense, but others being desirous of helping, he accepted subscriptions and it was thus maintained until 1874. Its first balance sheet was issued for 1865, in which year 34 cases were beneficially treated. The donations and subscriptions were £75. 12s. 6d., the payments by patients £33. 12s. and the collecting box at the hospital realised £2. 7s. 6d., a total income of £111. 12s., not quite sufficient to meet all outgoings. Food, wine, medicine, appliances, fuel, &c, cost £86. 7s. 4d., the nursing staff £17; rates, insurance, furniture and other sundries £12. 5s. 5d. This was hardly a typical year, for the hospital accumulated considerable funds, having nearly £370 to its credit when it was closed in 1874.
The need of such an institution soon again became apparent. The late Mr. C. H. Gatty took an interest in the matter and in 1881 built a splendid cottage hospital in the Moat Road. This he completely furnished and equipped even to the provision of surgical instruments, but because people grew impatient and ventured, both publicly and privately, to ask him when he proposed to open it he took offence, removed the equipment and finally sold the property to Mr. John Betchley. East Grinstead remained for seven years, after Mr. Gatty built his, without the benefits of a cottage hospital, but in 1887 the late Mrs. Oswald Smith, of Hammerwood, took the matter up and hired the premises now known as