THE HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD - Online Book

The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


252                    HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
Lansdowne House, then only just completed. They were opened as a hospital on January 11th, 1888. Mrs. Smith formed a ladies' committee, consisting of herself, Mrs. Collins, Mrs. Covey and Miss Wallis. Feeling, however, that it was not right to keep the hospital entirely in their own hands, Mr. and Mrs. Smith decided, in May of the same year, to make it known that they would be willing to receive subscriptions and hand the hospital over to a properly appointed committee. In July a public meeting was held, presided over by the late Mr. H. R. Freshfield, and the first meeting of subscribers was held in the following November. It was then announced that the cost of maintaining the hospital would be about 300 a year. On January 8th, 1889, the first meeting of the properly appointed committee was held. That meeting was attended by Mrs. Smith and her eldest son, Mr. Guy Smith, and they formally handed over to the committee the possession and care of the hospital. At the same time Mrs. Smith handed them the sum of 50 given by the late Mr. Bernard Hale, and on behalf of herself and family guaranteed handsome yearly subscriptions. At that same meeting Mr. H. A. Perkins was appointed to the secretaryship and he has held the appointment ever since. The Trustees then elected were Messrs. H. Jeddere-Fisher, B. G. O. Smith and W. V. K. Stenning, and they still hold office. On February 9th, 1900, the sum of 374. 6s. 9d., the balance of funds remaining from the original cottage hospital started by Mr. Rogers, was handed over to these Trustees. The work went on smoothly and beneficially until 1892, when, owing to the lamentable failure of Head's Bank, the hospital had to face an initial loss of 473. 5s. That was very unfortunate for the hospital, as in June the premises were thrown into the market for sale, and the committee felt it was their duty and for the advantage of the hospital to purchase the property, which they did at a cost of 675 and 25 legal expenses. In consequence of the loss by Head's Bank failure the committee had to make a special appeal for 300, and the response was
Previous Contents Next