PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS. 259
For many years the room used for public entertainments was known as " Thompson's Corn Store," and then it became known and used as the County Court House.
The first step towards building a really suitable Public Hall for East Grinstead was taken on November 20th, 1867, when a town meeting was held to consider the matter, a committee formed and a deputation appointed to wait on George, 5th Earl De la Warr, and Lord West to seek their aid. In due course a Company was formed, the site of the old County Court House, which belonged to Mr. William Pearless and Mr. John Smith, was secured, and the Public Hall erected. Builders varied in their tenders in those days. The highest was £1,750, the lowest £1,007. The building was commenced in June, 1875, and first used on January 4th, 1876.
Mr. G. Bridgland erected the Grosvenor Hall, London Road, in 1883, and it was first used—for a C.E.T.S. musical entertainment—on February 11th, 1884.
The Queen's Hall was commenced by the late Mrs. Murchison, widow of Mr. K. R. Murchison, of Brockhurst, as a part of the Workmen's Club and as a memorial to her husband, but she suddenly stopped the work when she discovered that it was proposed to let the hall for public purposes. The Trustees took possession of the unfinished building, borrowed money for its completion, and it was opened on July 8th, 1899, by the late Sir Edward Blount.
The Parish Hall, standing in a corner of the old Chequer Mead, was erected by members of the Church of England connected with the Parish Church, and opened on December 28th, 1899.
THE NATIONAL SCHOOLS.
The need of Elementary Day Schools became very pressing in 1859. For those who would not or could not get accommodation at the Grammar School, there was no alternative but to walk to Forest Row, and many lads did so, while the occasional closing of the Grammar School, owing to disputes as to its management, rendered