262 HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
At the present time, the lease having expired, there is some talk about the Church party re-taking possession of the old section of the buildings and carrying on therein a Church of England Voluntary School.
THE MODERN SCHOOL.
This valuable and much - needed institution was established at its present location in the Cantelupe Road in the year 1894 by the Rev. Robert Bid well Matson, B.A., who had for some time been Curate here and who saw the great need of a high-class day school for the sons of the trading and professional classes in the town. The number of scholars averages from 30 to 40 and the boys are given a thoroughly sound and Christian educa≠tion. In fact, Mr. Matson not only turns out good scholars, but he makes gentlemen of them. Though the school has only been established twelve years, several of its old boys have already attained honourable positions in private life or public service. Mr. Matson is a B.A. of Merton College, Oxford, was ordained in 1884 and prior to coming to East Grinstead held a curacy at Busbridge, Surrey, and a lectureship at the Exeter Training College for schoolmasters, and was head master of Zonnebloem College, South Africa.
The East Grinstead Savings Bank was started on February 1st, 1819, and it very rapidly developed into an important and popular institution, its deposits reach≠ing to £20,000 in a very short time. Its affairs were managed by a number of local residents and it served a useful purpose until the need for it ceased in consequence of equal facilities being afforded by the Government through the Post Office. Mr. Charles Turner was its last Actuary and under his superintendence its affairs were wound up and it ceased to exist on January 20th, 1896, the accounts of depositors, amounting to £11,553. 19s. lid. and a clear surplus of £114. 12s. 5d.,