FRIENDLY SOCIETIES. 267
THE "PRINCESS ALEXANDRA" LODGE OF ODD FELLOWS.
This Lodge was opened on October 26th, 1864, at the Station Inn, now the Railway Hotel, by the officers of the Lewes District, a dispensation for the purpose having been granted to the "Victoria" Lodge at Uckfield. Twenty members joined the first evening. Two years later the Lodge, at its own request, was transferred from the Lewes to the Tonbridge District. In 1878 the head quarters were removed to the Crown Hotel, which has been the place of meeting ever since. Mr. W. H. Wood has been Secretary to the Lodge for 28 years. The members now number 256 and the funds, exclusive of a large share in the district capital, amount to £4,371. lis. lid.
There are branches in the town of the Redhill Workmen's Provident Society; the Tunbridge Wells and South-Eastern Counties Equitable Association; and the Hearts of Oak Friendly Society.