SEAFORD AND THE VALLEY OF THE CUCKMERE
Seaford, thirteen miles east of Brighton, and eleven miles south-east of Lewes, formerly an important town, stands at the mouth of the Ouse, and is without doubt the ancient Mercredesburn (Moer-cryd, the sea-ford), the site of a great battle about a.d. 485, between the Saxons under Ella and the Britons. The history of Seaford is easily summed up: It was often attacked by the French in the time of Edward III. and was almost depopulated by " the black death." Claude d'Annebault, and his fleet, attempted to surprise it in 1545, but were replused by Sir Nicholas Pelham :
" What time the French sought to have sackt Sea-ford This Pelham did repel 'em back aboord."
The men of Seaford and the neighbouring villages looked upon smuggling and wrecking as