166 KIPLING'S SUSSEX
. . . come out of Lewes with her stockings round her heels, an' she never made nor mended aught till she died." The following books on matters of local interest can be seen at the Lewes Library :
" Barons' War," by W. H. Blaauw.
" Battaile of Lewes and other Legends," by A. Lee.
" Dictionary of the Sussex Dialect," by Rev. W. D. Parish.
" Discovery of the remains of William de Warrenne," by Dr. G. A. Mantell.
" Fossil Reptiles of the South-east of England," by Dr. G. A. Mantell.
" Fossils of the Southdowns," by Dr. G. A. Mantell*
" History of Lewes," by T. H. Horsfield.
" History of Sussex," by T. H. Horsfield.
" History of Sussex," by M. A. Lower.
" History of Lewes," by Paul Dun van (W. Lee).
" Lewes Men of Note," by G. Holman.
" Nooks and Corners of Old Sussex," by Rev. P. de Putron.
" Ovingdean Grange," by Harrison Ainsworth.
There are seven churches in the town : All Saints, in Friars' Walk, rebuilt in 1807. The ancient tower still remains. Southover. This church contains a mortuary chapel in which are deposited the remains of William de Warrenne and Gundrada, his wife (daughter of William the Conqueror).
St. Michael's, in the High Street. The front is