176 KIPLING'S SUSSEX
donkeys. This is rather a tale to throw to the gay and gallant marines ; but at the same time it is generally thought that the family drew a great revenue from the forges in the Weald—a fact which is indeed frankly avowed in their singular motto : ' Carbone et forcipibus.' "
An interesting relic of the iron times was to be seen at Howbourne, in this parish—an old hammer-post on the marge of the once extensive but now drained pond. It was formed of an oak tree, and in excellent preservation. Its height above ground was 91/2 feet. It has now been removed.
Eridge Green, about ten miles distant, near a feeder of the Medway, and three miles from Tun-bridge Wells, has the only inn in Sussex, " The Gun," which takes its name from the iron trade of days gone by, but the Sussex historian states that the following names, which recall the vanished industry, can be found within ten mile's of East Grinstead : Furnace Pond, Forge Pond, Wirewell Pond, Hammer Pond, Casiron, Shovel-strode, Horseshoe Farm, Cinder Hill, Cinder Banks.
Mayfield, about ten miles from Tunbridge Wells, is a delightful old village, particularly rich in old gabled and timbered houses, the best of which is Middle House (dated 1575). The