The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

30                    THE SUSSEX COAST
replaced by a much smaller chapel (dedicated, it seems, to St. Pantaleon, whose name is well known in connection with a necessary portion of mascu­line attire), and a little chamber is squeezed in between it and the quire aisle. West of the south transept was added the very massive sacristy—a striking little building covered with a heavy vault in two bays, the bosses, as well as the caps of the window-shafts, carved with foliage. The Cathedral thus restored was dedicated anew in 1199, and it has not been greatly changed in character by later additions, though they have added to its pictur-esqueness and given it a certain Continental air. Early in the thirteenth century porches were added north and south of the nave; the former touches the west tower, the latter the sacristy. Later on, about 1260,* a larger porch was built at the west end. The three differ much in detail, but in each case the outer arch is left open and subdivided into two resting on a slender shaft. During the same century outer chapels were added to the nave, giving it the five-aisled character that is an attractive and unique feature among English cathedrals.! That on the north, all but its plain east bay, the original resting-place of St. Richard, is later than the other, and has beautiful three-light windows of early Decorated character. Both outer aisles have clustered shafts and graceful ribbed vaults. Probably about 1250 the central tower was rebuilt on the old Norman arches. By Bishop Gilbert of Sancto Leophardo (1288-1301) the Lady Chapel J was lengthened eastward by
* This date is suggested by Philip Johnston. + That of Manchester was, when built, only a collegiate church.
+ It need hardly be mentioned that this is simply a chapel
Previous Contents Next