CHICHESTER AND VICINITY 35
exactly alike), Ceadwalla * making the grant of land to Wilfrid and Henry VIII. confirming it to himself, all the costumes being of the time when the paintings were made. In the south quire aisle rests the good bishop under a tomb with recumbent effigy which he himself prepared—"a pour remembrance," he calls it; his favourite mottoes, " operibus credite" and " Non intres in indicium cum servo tuo, Domine" also appear. Probably his work was the oaken altar-screen which has recently been restored from fragments preserved ; in front of it is a beautiful carved retable presented by the present Dean in memory of his wife—one of numerous memorials in the Cathedral, for Sussexians love their Mother Church as much as ever of old.
Recently restored in the presbytery behind the altar screen, more or less as it is shown in the plate of John Coney engraved in 1824 for an edition of Dugdale's Monasticon Anglicanum— whether or not the original one was similar is quite another matter—there stands the platform where once rested the shrine of St. Richard, whose name is also borne by the walk leading from the cloisters to Canon Lane, while the map of Chichester by Jodocus Hondius (published in Speed's Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine) as late as 1610 calls the Cathedral St. Richard's Minster (p. 50). The westmost chapel of the outer south aisle belonged to the Gild of St. George as the old Merchant Gild was called on being refounded about 1368 with the mayor as its master. It had had a charter from Stephen confirming its privileges, deemed ancient even then; we hardly dare assert a historic continuity with * He really only confirmed the grant of iEdilwalch.