The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

three miles off—but Blackfriars were settled in the Pallant by Edmund, Earl of Cornwall, in 1228. Greyfriars found a lodging in the north-east section. In 1269 William of Albini, Earl of Arundel, having decided to dismantle the castle, presented them with its magnificent site. The quire of their church remains; it long formed the Guildhall, Blake once had to undergo a trial in it (p. 96), but though it has been recently repaired no one has been able to find a better use for it than keeping a few tennis balls therein ! It is a beautiful thirteenth-century building without aisles, five lancets in the east wall, five two-light windows each side, piscina, sedilia and sepulchral recess, newel stair south-west, timber roof. At the west end is an arch with clustered responds which opened to the nave or friars' preaching hall, on whose north side were cloisters; a fragment remains in the north-west corner with an iron hinge for a shutter. Apparently some of the building materials were taken from the Castle; how far the convent was finished seems doubtful.*
The original buildings of St. Mary's Hospital were connected with the Church of St. Mary in the market close to the middle of the city. The Church of St. Peter in Foro had exactly two parishioners, and in 1229 this was granted to the Hospital to be taken down, seats or at any rate places for the two worthy persons deprived of a place of worship to be provided in the Hospital Church. By Thomas of Lichfield, Dean of Chichester 1232-1246, the institution was re-founded, and when the friars moved to the Castle park the Hospital was rebuilt on their old site. * See W. V, Crake in S.A.C., li.
Previous Contents Next