of Canterbury, to whom the place was given by Wilfrid. A large thatched barn has every appearance of having been built with the materials, there is otherwise nothing more than irregularity in the surface of the ground. The church, dedicated to Thomas a Becket and built very shortly after his canonisation in 1172 (but with older portions), is a large Early English structure with north-west tower, nave having both aisles and transepts, and chancel. The pillars are round and the arches heavy, both chancel and transepts have triple lancets, the former with shafts and dog-tooth, now containing old German glass. The double piscina, with shaft and square head, has the most unusual arrangement of a little gargoyle outside for its drain. The church is very much spoilt by vulgar restoration and colour-wash. In the south transept is a tablet to Edwarde Darrell (1575), whose rampant lion is of a distinctly comic character. The wife of the minister intruded during the Commonwealth was named Polyxena, and her tablet tells us she was " omni virtute cumulata"; and for the benefit of those who do not read Latin there is addedó
"She was a loyal and a loveing wife And lived a gratious and a godly life Now here she rests in hope still looking for The glorious comeing of hir Saviour."
The nave roof is dated 1682, the shingled spire surmounted by a singular eighteenth-century ornament of lead rises above the trees, and forms a landmark far over the flats.
Most of the people of Pagham live in its hamlet of Nyetimber, and here, built up into Barton or Manor Farm, is what appears to be the aula or