The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


ARUNDEL AND LITTLEHAMPTON 109
way had already stepped into the heritage of the House of Braose at Bramber, then secured the vacant estates and have held them ever since. The first of them to own Arundel was Philip, Duke of Norfolk (son of the Duke executed in 1572 for wishing to marry Mary, Queen of Scots, and to place her on the throne), who, as his contemporary Camden delicately puts it, " not knowing how to put up with reflections and difficulties fell into a snare by the contrivance of those who envied him and ended his days after having been brought into the utmost danger." In plain English he was committed to the Tower for treason on a charge of praying for the success of the Spanish Armada. The keep tower forms part of the west side of the vast castle, though it is moated against the rest of it as well as against the outside coun­try. There are two huge courts running north and south, approximately 900 feet by 300 feet, and, except where the hillsides fall away too steeply to require them, the whole is pro­tected by dry moats. On the south the castle-hill rises abruptly from the river, and here the lower walling is largely mediaeval with a conspi­cuous double window of late Norman character with shafts. The great structure is otherwise chiefly modern, immense damage having been done during the siege by Waller, 1643 (p. 42). The northern court is enclosed only by a battlemented curtain wall and small towers, nearly all rebuilt by the present Duke in flintwork. The south court is enclosed by great buildings, the chief features of which are the library on the east, huge stair­case and dwelling-rooms on the south, hall and chapel on the west. The library is a most impressive and attractive chamber, over 100 feet
Previous Contents Next