ARUNDEL AND LITTLEHAMPTON 115
portions of his buildings eclipse the most aesthetic of the more ancient house of Fitzalan.
The large park, stretching for miles over the Downs with its sloping expanses of turf, its hanging woods extending in places to the river, and its deer peacefully wandering under the trees, is one of the largest and most beautiful in Sussex. From the triangular building called from its Birmingham architect Hiorne's Tower there is a fine view over the water-gap and Weald. At the foot of the Downs south-east of the town, under the " hangers " of the park and not far from the famous inn denominated the Black Rabbit, is Swanbourne Lake, a beautiful piece of water originally formed as a mill-pond, and in that connection mentioned in Domesday. It is well described at the end of M. A. Tierney's History of Arundel, an admirable work whose writer was a Roman priest who opposed Cardinal Wiseman and papal domination, and was an honoured Sussex antiquarian in his day (1795-1862) : " Of the Swanbourne Mills only one remains at the present day. It is situated beneath the castle, on the east side, at the head of the stream by which the ancient ' Swanbourne Lake' discharges itself into the river; and, most probably, occupies the site of the original building mentioned in Domesday. Perhaps, of all the beautiful spots in the neighbourhood of Arundel, none comprises more real beauty than this. The valley in front, shaded by the willows and ash which adorn the little islands of the lake, and winding its way in the distance amongst the hills; the castle projecting boldly from the eminence on the left, and seeming as if suspended between earth and heaven; the steep acclivities on each hand, clothed to their summit