The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

120                    THE SUSSEX COAST
(c. 1320). By Perpendicular architects the south wall was largely rebuilt, and the west window was constructed about the year 1420; while, as if all this were not enough variety, a porch was added to the nave in the time of Charles I.
Littlehampton, at the mouth of the river, is a very modern-looking and by no means particu­larly interesting town. Leland has the following exiguous entry concerning it: " At the Mouth of Arundel Streame as apon the Se lyith ii toune-lettes a 4. Miles from Arundel, The hither is caullid Cudlo, and of it the Haven is caullid Cudlo Haven. The farther is caullid Little Hampton." A more detailed account is to be gleaned from the Gentleman's Magazine, which gives a description of the place in 1834. "Littlehampton has acquired many warm friends, who consider it unrivalled by any watering-places on the southern coast for the conveniences of bathing, and the salubrity and free circulation of fine air. The principal houses stand on a terrace placed about 200 yards from the sea, a distance which is increased to half a mile at low water. In front of the houses is a common of about 100 acres, on which sheep only are permitted to feed; and children can therefore enjoy their pastimes thereon with per­fect safety. An abundance of mushrooms may be gathered on this common at the proper season. . . . On the retiring of the sea, the sands are of the finest kind, firm and dry, and may be passed with horses and carriages so far as Worthing. . . . The mildness of the climate is shown by the myrtles, which grow in the open air against the houses." The same account gives a view of the little mediaeval church, and says of the present one, rather flatteringly, that it " is not remarkable
Previous Contents Next