The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


WORTHING                            133
In 1901 was discovered at West Worthing a Roman stone inscribed in four linesó
DIVI
CONSTNt PII AVG FILIO
evidently referring to Constantine the Great, Christianiser of Rome. There was a line of Roman settlements along the whole Sussex shore, and some sort of trackway must have connected them, though no satisfactory traces of a regular road are to be found (Codrington). Roman remains of one kind or another are constantly being discovered.
West Worthing corresponds with the old parish of Heene, whose church, dedicated to St. Botolph (p. 155), having been long disused from absence of population, was taken down by faculty in 1766. The east wall of flint and chalk with a broken piscina remains, but stands clear of the new church of flint and brick with shingled spire. Seakale (Crambe maritima) grows wild along this shore, and is now extensively cultivated in the market gardens for which the district has long been noted; greenhouses are also exceedingly numerous, de≠signed rather for commerce than ornament.
Half a mile or so to the north is the beautiful village of West Tarring, formerly a residence of the Archbishops of Canterbury and one of their peculiars on the way to Chichester. A mediaeval building with two-light transomed Perpendicular windows and older walls is thought to have been their house; it is called the Old Palace and used as the village school. Becket is said to have been there sometimes and to have encouraged the plant-
Previous Contents Next