The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

182                   THE SUSSEX COAST
In 1615 the patronage of the living was granted to the Bishop of Chichester in a somewhat tauto-logous document, which described it as "the ad-vowson, nomination, donation, free disposition, and right of patronage and presentation, to the vicarage of the Parish Church of Brighthelmsted, als Bright-helniston als Brightelniston als Brightelmiston, in our county of Sussex." A Quaker, one John Pullat, was in 1658 put into the Blockhouse for " speaking to the Priest and people in the Steeple-house." Doubtless the spirit moved him to be as little pleased with the Puritan as with the Anglican Service. The Puritans in early days objected to the word " church " being used except of the com­munity, but the word " priest" in the circumstances is curious.
Just outside the door of the south chapel is the famous altar-tomb to Captain Nicholas Tattersall, whose epitaph is a fine example of the exuberant loyalty of the Restoration period ; the date is 1674.
" Within this marble monument doth lye Approued Ffaith honor and Loyalty In this cold clay he hath now tane up his station At once preserued ye Church the Crowne and nation when Charles ye Greate was nothing but a breath this ualiant soule stept betweene him and death usurper's threats nor tyrant rebells frowne Could not afright his duty to the Crowne which glorious act of his for Church and state Eight Princes in one day did Gratulate Proffessing all to him in debt to bee As all the world are to his memory Since Earth Could not Reward his worth have give Hee now receiues it from the King of heaven."'"
* This is taken from the original but without the least implication that the conjectural emendations usually found in
Previous Contents Next