The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


196                   THE SUSSEX COAST
and that the greatest tenderness and endearments are used instead of severity and unnecessary Constraint; and the utmost pains taken to improve them, as the imaginary Difficulties young Minds are apt to think will attend their progress in learning are removed, all Perplexities and Obscurities extirpated, and the old rugged and tremendous Road (by many trod with Fear and trembling) is disused, and a new one perfectly smooth and easy substituted wherein the duty of the school from being irksome and laborious is rendered pleasant and recreative. His Terms are thirteen guineas per Annum, Washing, and Mending Linen and Stockings included."
Brighton College was founded in 1848 to take its place among the Public Schools ; the original buildings of flint and stone were designed by Sir Gilbert Scott. A new block with a beautiful gateway has been erected by one of many eminent men trained in the institution, T. G. Jackson, whose work at Oxford is well known. There is a very pleasant and well-shaded court between the two blocks. After many vicissitudes the school has entered on a new era of prosperity, chiefly from the devotion of the old boys. Among masters who have made a name, very promi­nent was the immensely respected E. J. Marshall, who in 1859 founded the Grammar School, for which a large new building is being erected by the Education authorities. Among the nume­rous private schools one of the oldest and most successful is Windlesham House, maintained for more than three-quarters of a century by four generations of the Maiden family. Its chapel is built largely of the materials of the old Carfax Church at Oxford.
Previous Contents Next