The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

240                   THE SUSSEX COAST
1538; it is just possible that the dedication was changed to flatter Anne of Cleves, who, however, only came to England in 1540. The church consists of west tower, with later octagonal spire, nave with south aisle and transept and chancel. The transept is vaulted, the round pillars have carved corbels to support the corners of the square capitals, a beautiful local peculiarity found also at Beddingham, Rodmell, and Telscombe. The font has a trellis pattern rather resembling that of Denton. Among others buried here are Thomas Twyne (1543-1613), an Elizabethan scholar and medical man who left several works, commemorated by a brass inscription; John Row, the antiquary, Principal of Clifford's Inn, who died in 1639 and whose marble gravestone was found in 1832, and Mark Antony Lower (1782-1865), who wrote much on Sussex archaeology and was one of the chief founders of the Society whose object is to study it. Both the latter lived in St. Anne's House, now pulled down.
In the Cliff suburb is the fifteenth-century Church of St. Thomas of Canterbury, a simple building of tower, nave with aisles and chancel; the octagonal pillars are rather higher than might be expected in a structure of the size, and there is a large hagioscope from the south aisle.
Lewes contains a great many old houses, most of them are oak-framed and show heavy beams and panelling within ; but the outsides are usually altered out of recognition—the street fronts cemented and the walls facing the gardens hung with weather tiles. No. 74, High Street has a most interesting oak window of the early fourteenth century, shaft-mullions supporting trefoiled arches with qua trefoil openings above. In Southover is
Previous Contents Next