The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

Norman character, the bottoms of the round arches of the arcade bevelled to fit the caps of the pillars. The tower and the chancel are a little later, and the latter is separated from its north chapel by two arches, the round pillar having a carved cap with corner ornaments, as at Rodmell, &c. A lovely stretch of Down turf extends to the Ouse at Piddinghoe.
There are four little villages on the east side of the valley, between Newhaven and Lewes; Denton is tucked away in a combe of the Downs, and possesses a flint fragment of the old priest's house, which has a trefoiled lancet and dates from about 1300. The church is small and chiefly fourteenth-century work, the rood turret and stair remaining perfect on the south; there are older portions; the font is late Norman and tub-shaped, with a trellis-work pattern. The glory has rather departed from South Heighton, which stands high on the Downs, and an iron shed occupies the site and attempts to fill the place of the old church. Tarring Neville, on low ground, with the Downs rising just behind, has a little church of Early English character, but built at different times. The chancel is very long, with deeply splayed lancets and a square low side window ; the south aisle opens by heavy arches of chalk with a round pillar, and has a font built into the sill of a window. The exterior is all mantled with cement, and on the tower appears the date of the improvement, 1826.
Under the heights of Mount Caburn, close to where the Glynde Reach enters the Ouse, stands Beddingham among its trees. The church was originally Norman, and a little window in that style remains on the north side. Later arches
Previous Contents Next