The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

SEAFORD                              269
as it is let alone, the nave; they are built chiefly of a very coarse limestone, and display long and short work with the general characteristics of pre-Conquest architecture ; the porch has a sun­dial over the outer door inscribed with the very common Saxon name Eadric, preceded by a cross. The tower in four stages, each slightly receding, the lower one opening by a plain arch into the church, the upper ones with corner-shafts and the highest windows double, is an excellent example of early Norman work. About contemporary or slightly later is the wall of the (north) aisle, pierced by little windows. Belonging to the Transition period, Norman to Early English, is the most unusual arrangement of the east end, an arch opening into the chancel and a second into a holy of holies or sanctuary. These arches are pointed and well moulded, the chancel has a blind round arch on the south with foliage caps, and another on the north opening to the aisle with scallop caps. The sanctuary is vaulted with corner-shafts to the transverse ribs, and smaller ones to the wall ribs (three in each angle), scallop caps with added details on a tiny scale. The windows here are round - headed. Both in conception and detail this work is most striking; among other orna­ments there is dog-tooth elaborated by little holes in the leaves. The nave is separated from its aisle by an Early English arcade of two arches, round pillar and responds. In the tower is a remarkable coffin slab, three circles enclosed by cable moulding contain representations of the Cross, the Agnus Dei, and two doves drinking from the same vase.
There is a tablet to James Hurdis (1763-1801),
Previous Contents Next