306 THE SUSSEX COAST
roof is remarkable with arched timbers below the collars; the eastern part was at one time used for housing cattle, at another for storing smuggled goods; but this disgraceful state of affairs is at an end, and the building has been well restored. The lancets are rather plain as a rule, but two in the southern wall, sometimes called the twin windows, are beautifully shafted and moulded. The church throughout is very largely renewed.
In the north aisle is a fine tomb to John Wheateley, who supplied a ship to fight the Armada, and died in 1616. His effigy is reclining on its side with two strange animals at the base, black marble shafts and other ornaments characteristic of the period.
Among ecclesiastic offenders at Pevensey who got into trouble with the Archdeacon were the following :—
" 1612. John Peake, Jurat, is presented for working upon St. Luke's Day and likewise the fifth of November with his oxen and harness."
"Thomas Austen is presented for not livinge and dwellinge with his wyffe."
Sundry people were likewise presented for not coming duly to church. That the ecclesiastical and municipal authorities did not always work together appears from the following entry in the Parish Register, reflecting on the bailiff or mayor.
" Jany : 17th, 1773. The Body of a man drown'd at Sea was buried naked in the Beach because Mr. John Breden the then Bailiffe wod not permit the person who found it to bring it up to be buried in the Churchyard. The Minister desired to have it brot up and he wod bury it without any Fees: but the HUMANE Jurat forbad it. O Jus &c. &c."