358 THE SUSSEX COAST
the archbishop's arrival. He therefore, though somewhat against the wishes of the convent, granted the benefice to a certain kinsman of his own, one John, chaplain of the church at Hariet-sham, upon condition however that he should serve the Church in his own person."
The parish church is of Norman foundation, but the greater part of what exists dates from the late twelfth century, the nave arcades having octagonal and round pillars with rude palm-leaf caps and lancets over them in the clearstory; the chancel has three blind arches on the south enclosing lancets and small octagonal turrets. In the north aisle wall is a lancet hagioscope to afford a view of the altar from some chamber outside that is now destroyed. The west tower, south porch, and most of the aisles of the nave and chapels of the chancel are Perpendicular work.
Besides the Browne monument, there are brasses to Sir John Lowe (1426) in armour with feet on lion, to some former deans, and to one whose career is set forth in a jingling rimeó
"Thomas Alfrage, good curteous frend, interred lyeth
heere, Who so in active life did passe, as none was found his
peere; And Elizabeth did take to wyfe, one Ambrose Comfort's
child, Who with hym thirty-one yeares lyvid, a virtuous spouse,
and mild, By whom a sonne and daughter eke, behind alyve he left, And eare he fiftie yeares had rune, death hym of lyfe
bereft. On newe yeares day, of Christe his birth, which was just
nighitie nine, One thousand and five hundreth eke, loe here of flesh the