372 THE SUSSEX COAST
roofs of the church seem to date from the restoration that was carried out after this last disaster,* and the present western arch of the chancel belongs to the same period; the original one which helped to support the central tower was clearly much higher. It seems, indeed, that on this occasion the nave was taken down to restore the transepts and chancel, and as the original tower could not be rebuilt, a detached one was provided for the bells. The large window of the south transept is partly walled up, and there is a gable mark for a porch that has a late sixteenth- or even seventeenth-century appearance. At some time subsequent to this the transept was also abandoned and its three arches into the chancel were walled up, a Tudor porch from somewhere being re-erected on part of the site of the central tower. Between 1765 and 1779 a tower for the bells was most clumsily provided over the west part of the north aisle, f a monstrous wall cutting one of the old tombs in two. Its stones were apparently taken from the campanile, those not required being sold for harbour works at Rye. The removal of the lower tower walls, and otherwise supporting its upper part, so restoring the space to the church, has been one of the many good works of the present rector (W. R. Fox), who is repairing the church in the most careful and loving way. There is at present only one bell; over the pyramid roof of the low tower rises a vane with remarkable ironwork.
Fragments of rubble mediaeval walling, vaulted cellars, and a few simple details increase the charm of the shady streets and preserve memories of mediaeval hospitals, Dominican friary, and private
* But may be earlier. t Pamphlet, by J. D. H. Patch.