390 THE SUSSEX COAST
in " mending the cross which is borne about every day."
In January, 1559, there were great rejoicings over Elizabeth's accession, and we find the following entry:—
s. d. Paid, when the queen was proclaimed, to make
the clerks' drink ...............1 0
There is a beautiful seventeenth-century mahogany communion table carved with cherubs and flowers. Within the altar rails is a brass of 1607 :—
" Loe! Thomas Hamon here interr'd doth lie ; Thrice burgess for the Parliament elected, Six times, by freemen's choice, made mayor of Rye. And captain, long time, of the band selected. Whose prudent courage, justice, gravity, Deserve a monument of memory."
The Churchwardens' Accounts mention several gifts to the shrine of St. Richard, and in 1534 having spent sevenpence on a pottle of malmsey and pennerd of cake for the clerks at Ascension and eightpence for similar, but not quite identical, refreshments at Whitsuntide, they felt able to contribute a shilling to the Heremites, in other words the Austin Friars. In Conduit Hill may still be seen their chapel, which after having served all kinds of purposes, including the storage of planks, hops, and other merchandise, and Salvation Army barracks, has now been acquired for miscellaneous Church uses. It seems to be late fourteenth-century work, and the three-light windows on the south have Flamboyant tracery, proving a more peaceful intercourse with France than that so often experienced by Rye. Flamboy-