The Sussex Coast - online book

A Literary & Historical travel guide to the Sussex Coast

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


RYE                                   391
ant work is rare indeed in England, but there is an excellent example in the beautiful extension to his family chapel in Brede church which was made by Sir Goddard Oxenbridge, who died in 1537, and is fabled to have been a devourer of children and proof against all metal weapons, though eventually killed with a wooden saw by indignant neighbours who had taken the pre­caution to make him drunk. The Austin Monastery also contains a fine fifteenth-century oak-framed door with carved spandrels that came from an old house on the site of Lloyds' Bank, probably rebuilt soon after 1448.
Just south of the churchyard is a small mediaeval hall with chambers below; it is a rubble stone building originally of the fourteenth century, but altered in the fifteenth, and apparently transformed during the sixteenth century, when a large fire­place was formed, lighted by one of the original windows of the lower portion. A piece of nail-head ornament is probably twelfth-century work, but it is not in its original position. It evidently formed part of a fairly extensive range of buildings whose original purpose is unknown. It is called the Carmelite Friary, but the only evidence for the existence of the Order in Rye is a blundered abstract of the will of Thomas Sackville (1432) in Vetusta Monumenta; the legacy was really for the Carmelites of Lossenham in Kent.
Rye has a great many old timber-framed houses, but in nearly every case their fronts have been altered. The most interesting of all, the Flushing Inn, is hopelessly modernised outside, but the hall and adjacent room display magnificent old oak work—the beams of the ceiling moulded and close together, two little doorways having carved span-
Previous Contents Next