398 THE SUSSEX COAST
railway whose trains traverse the flats at a dignified speed connects it with Rye.
It was perhaps to quiet his conscience for the way in which he had gained so much of his estate that shortly after 1532 Sir John Guldeford (p. 384) built a church on the reclaimed land, instituting the parish called after his family East Guldeford. Prominent in the church are the Guldeford arms. It is an interesting building of thin red and yellow brick, well buttressed, the east window has four lights, the three on either side are three-light, and all have pointed arches, the original tracery was formed simply by the mullions intersecting, the whole of brick. A blocked arch at the west end shows that something further was built or projected. There is a large piscina with shelf, the square black marble font has arcading and what seem to have been Tudor roses ; at the east end are corbels carved with angels holding shields. While another Tudor brick Sussex church, that of Twine-ham, simply continues the tradition of the late Perpendicular style, the large pointed windows of Guldeford seem to be slightly influenced by the contemporary buildings of France.
Low sandstone hills rise just north of Rye, some four hundred yards of marsh separates their base from the Land Gate. On them is Playden, where was the old hospital of St. Bartholomew, whose chaplain or custos it is provided in the Customal shall be nominated by the mayor and jurats. Playden Church has been curiously dislocated by settlements. The north aisle has a little window and a door of Norman date ; the arcades are Transition to Early English, rather tall pillars octagonal and round, caps and arches are moulded, and the latter are round except the two westmost, which