400 THE SUSSEX COAST
to the north gateway, which has a broad flat arch and portcullis grooves; on shields are the arms of the Bodiam family, who held the manor under the Earls of Eu, 1066-1250, of the Wardeux family, who held the place 1250-1370, and of the Dalyngruges, one of whom, the builder, married the Wardeux heiress. Nearly all the outer windows are small lancets, but the east window of the chapel has three large ones under a single arch. Within is a single courtyard surrounded by buildings of two stories, with large square-headed mullioned windows. The chapel, hall, and kitchen extended through both stories, and their arrangements are singularly well preserved. Most of the rooms had fireplaces, with backs built of tiles, and the octagonal chimneys are treated like pillars. The general air of comfort is very remarkable considering the early date, and the castle is a very interesting connecting link between such a mere stronghold as Pevensey and such a slightly fortified palace as Herstmonceux.
Thomas Fuller, in his History of the Worthies of England, was thinking particularly of archbishops cradled in the different counties, but he would doubtless have wished his words to be given a very much wider application when he remarked—
"MANY SHIRES HAVE DONE WORTHILY, BUT SUSSEX SURMOUNTETH THEM ALL."