watering-place in 1766; and five years later was published, anonymously, A General Account of Tunbridge Wells and its Environs. Hasted gave an account of the town towards the end of the eighteenth century in the third volume (published in 1797) of his monumental History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent; and thirteen years later Amsinck described the domain over which he reigned, in a stately quarto entitled Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood. In 1821 Dr. John Evans, a schoolmaster, published An Excursion to Brighton . . . A Visit to Tunbridge Wells . . . and A Trip to Southend; but this, so far as " The Wells " is concerned, is based mainly upon the earlier authorities, as are also the Guides issued by Sprange and Colbran.
Further information has been gleaned from the numerous Tunbridge Miscellanies, Tunbridge Epistles, and similar productions, the best of which, Tunbridgiala, was written in 1726 by John Byrom. Unfortunately among these many effusions in verse there is nothing that will bear comparison with Anstey's New Bath Guide. An exhaustive examination of the memoirs and correspondence of the period amply repays the labour, for there are many