SOCIETY AT ROYAL TUNBRIDGE WELLS - Online Book

People, Society & Culture of Tunbridge Wells in the 18th Century & later.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


Royal Tunbridge Wells
took away the old wooden railings placed round the wells by Lord Abergavenny and in their stead put up a stone wall; renewed the stone pavement within the barrier; placed a basin over the main spring for the better reception of the water; and raised a con­venient hall to shelter the dippers from the weather, to which he added a projection that preserved the wells from the contamination of rain water. He also set up his arms over the gateway that led to the springs, and the arms remained there until the conclusion of the famous lawsuit (to which reference will presently be made), when the tenants, in token of their victory, took them down and placed them at the back of the Upper Assembly Rooms. That Lord Muskerry should have been the first to make these additions, which must from the first have been desirable, shows very clearly how primitive the arrangements were at this date, when Tunbridge Wells was already a recognised resort for the well-to-do classes. Other improvements were projected by this public-spirited Lord of the Manor, but before he could carry out these further opera­tions he was killed in the naval engagement with the Dutch on June 3, 1665. 46
Previous Contents Next