Royal Tunbridge Wells
existence of these structures, but Mrs. Pitt Byrne attributes to the owners the sinister designs of escaping certain rates and taxes payable on permanent buildings. These erections were, of necessity, light and somewhat fragile, and in course of time were replaced by more elaborate buildings, but one of them endured, wheels and all, on the west side of the road leading to the Common, until the thirties of the nineteenth century.
The mundane requirements of man and woman having been for the moment more or less satisfied, it occurred to some one that it was advisable to make some provision for the spiritual needs of such part of the community as belonged to the Church of England. The Dissenters, Baptists, Presbyterians, and Independents were already catered for, but the nearest place of worship for members of the Established Church was the parish church of Speldhurst, two miles from " The Wells," too far for the majority of the visitors and residents to go, even on the Sabbath, or, at least, further than they felt inclined to go. In 1676 Lady Purbeck, of Somerhill, offered a plot of ground for a church in Tunbridge Wells itself, at one end of the Upper Walk, and the offer was, of 50