People, Society & Culture of Tunbridge Wells in the 18th Century & later.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

Development of Tunbridge Wells
course, gratefiully accepted. It was presently shown that there was some irregularity in the grant, but the matter was subsequently put right by Lady Purbeck's son, John, Earl of Buckingham, who by a deed of trust, dated February 15, 1703, confirmed the gift. Other landowners in the neighbourhood volunteered to supply what timber was wanted, and all that was necessary to make a start with the building was money. To this desirable end the visitors were invited to contribute, but, sad to relate, they showed little alacrity in responding. It took eight years to collect the sum of (Burr says, but the authorities differ as to the amount) £1,385. The Chapel of Ease was then erected, and dedicated to King Charles the Martyr. Hasted, in his Survey of Kent, published in 1797, remarks that the church " stands re­markably—the pulpit in Speldhurst, the altar in Tunbridge, and the vestry in Frant "; and this statement, circulated for years before Hasted wrote, was generally accepted until Paul Amsinck ruthlessly showed it to be with­out foundation. " An erroneous idea has long prevailed," he wrote, " that this chapel is placed in the singular situation of occupying on its site, portions of three parishes and two
D2                                                                              51
Previous Contents Next