time were beautiful and countless. Children, on this day, dined in the avenues of the Level,—tables being fitted up for their accommodation beneath the trees around this delightfully cool retreat. In order that the juveniles should have all' the convenience possible and unalloyed enjoyment of the good things provided for them, a fence was erected to exclude the general public. It may be here observed that, by resolution of the Town Commissioners, of 21st November, 1844, the trees around the Level were planted, — and their present appearance contributes very materially to the beauty of the people's play-ground and neighbourhood surrounding. A great drawback to this spot is the number of paths permitted to intersect the same,—but we trust our local authorities will soon remedy this defect.
BRIGHTON RACES: THEIR RISE AND DECLINE.—WHITE HAWK FAIR.
The first mention made of Brighton assisting in racing matters is met with in the Racing Calendar of 1777. On the 31st July of this year the Brighthelmstone Plate— of the value of £50, a four-mile heat,was run for at Lewes, and won by Sir Jno. Shelley's Hudibras, beating six others. This race continued for a few years.
In 1788 a race course was formed in this town and a stand erected. This event is described by "Wigstead and Rowlandson, in an embellished work, entitled An Excursion to Brighthelmstone made in the year 1789, from which we quote as follows :—" The race ground is exceedingly well adapted to the purposes for which it was intended; and is one of the most beautifully situated spots in the world, The prospect is wonderfully extensive and magnificent. The races are in July, and there are always three fifties besides several sweepstakes, matches, &c. A handsome