required their assistance. The remains of many of them were interred near this spot by the directions of the Lord's Commissioners of the Admiralty.
" The waters saw Thee, 0 God! "
On the west tablet the names of the officers lost, namely, James Hanson, Esq., commander, and ten others, are inscribed.
On the south tablet:—
" The friends of Captain Hanson caused this monument to be erected as a mark of their esteem for a deserving officer and a valued friend ; it was the will of heaven to preserve him during four years' voyage of danger and difficulty round the world, on discoveries with Captain Vancouver, in the year 1791, 1792, 1793, and 1794, but to take him from us when most he thought himself secure,—
" The voice of the Lord is upon the face of the waters."
On the east tablet:—
" The " Brazen" had been ordered to protect this part of the coast from the insolent attacks of the enemy ; and in the evening preceding the sad catastrophe had detained a foreign vessel, which was put under the care of the master's mate, a midshipman, eight seamen, and two marines, who were hereby saved from the fate of their companions."
At one period it stood on the outside of the Churchyard, but the requirements of the parish for sepulture necessitating an extension of burial ground, the land around it was enclosed and consecrated.
The town, at one period, was celebrated for its ale brewing, and its " Newhaven Tipper" became a very popular beverage. It was introduced to the public by a brewer named Thomas Tipper. His remains lie buried