more than five or six. At Seaford, instead of a Mayor, the chief officer is designated bailiff: the chief of the municipality and two Jurats compose a quorum. Before the passing of the 9th Anne, chap. 20, which prevents Returning Officers holding their office for more than one year at a time, the Mayors of the Cinque Ports were seldom, if ever, changed.
Formerly this town had five Churches and a Chapel, four of the Churches were destroyed by the French, in the course of their attack of 1377;—the remaining one, dedicated to St. Leonard, is of great antiquity, and in 1778, on digging up a portion of its foundation, three stone coffins were discovered,— two had handsome crosses on them and the remaining one enclosed sixteen skulls. No aperture was perceivable in these primitive coffins, and they were fixed in the northern wall of the Church. This edifice was restored in 1862, and contains many objects of interest, but none deserving of special mention.
The Chapel before alluded to belonged to Chyngton, and derived its sustenance from Michelham Priory, near Hailsham. This latter place is now occupied as a farm house, and still exhibits remains of its ecclesiastical origin : at one time there was a drawbridge at its entrance. This religious house gave the name to one of the Manors of Brighton, called " Brighton-Michelham," andit is believed derived a substantial benefit therefrom.
Sutton and Chyngton are both within the liberties of Seaford, and James S. Turner, Esq., occupier of the latter, a much-respected gentleman and eminent agriculturist, has on several occasions been placed at the head of the municipality,—which also possesses a Town Hall, lock-up, &c, and holds Petty and Quarter Sessions. The higher class of offences are tried at the County Assizes, at Lewes.
Seaford is situated in a bay formed by the Newhaven Cliffs on the westward, and its own on the east. Some