KIPLING'S SUSSEX - online book

An illustrated descriptive guide, to the places mentioned in
the writings of Rudyard Kipling.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

46                    KIPLING'S SUSSEX
in the county. Its general character is Decorated, with a massive square tower, a staircase turret, a roof of unusual height, and windows ornamented with rich flamboyant tracery. The chancel is noticeable for its length, its south door, and Early English font. The founder of the church was one Sir William de Etchingham, to whom there is a brass in the chancel (much injured), and an inscription which may be compared with that on " the Black Prince's tomb at Canterbury." An enriched canopy overhangs a brass to a later Sir William (d. 1444), his wife, and son, and the south aisle is adorned with an Etchingham helmet.
The war memorial cross before the church was unveiled by Rudyard Kipling in April, 1920, who remarked that it " occupied the very place it should do, right in the centre of the church approach—for surely it was a small thing that as they approached the House of God, they should pause awhile and remember the sacrifice."
Previous Contents Next