KIPLING'S SUSSEX - online book

An illustrated descriptive guide, to the places mentioned in
the writings of Rudyard Kipling.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

ioo                   KIPLING'S SUSSEX
built about noo. In the east end is a large arched recess, in which there existed a very old fireplace. It is supposed an altar stood in it. It has been suggested that the base of the chimney stack once supported a calvary (or stone cross), or formed the steps to an entrance. Another idea is there was a room to the east of the vestry, and a door where the chimney stands. Part of the brickwork is Norman (as in Battle Abbey). It is possible that it was the Prior's residence till about 1370, when it became a lady chapel, and in 1559-60 it was transformed into a vestry, with a fireplace where the altar had stood. The masonry in the gable ends is of a later period—probably Per­pendicular. The interior walls of the vestry are very uneven, but colourwash, whitewash and plaster prevent an examination of their com­position.
The Lamb Inn on Sewers Bridge on the road to Pevensey, the Wheat sheaf Inn at Little Common on the road to Bexhill, and the Red Lion at Hooe are all ancient and notable old inns with noble open fireplaces and plenty of Sussex oak beams in their ceilings. The most critical wayfarer, if he can find half an excuse should turn in and quaff a pint of ale with the marshmen at the Lamb. Here, if it be a winter's evening, ash-wood logs
Previous Contents Next