NEWHAVEN AS A CENTRE 159
is perched embraces a considerable portion of the east of Sussex. From this site of the ancient manor-house the prospect eastward extends to the windmill at Cross-in-Hand, and the monument to the memory of " the hero of Gibraltar," at Heathfield.
The church is early English, with a large pointed east window, temp. Edward III. A brass, with figures of a man and woman, their seven sons and three daughters, commemorates Edward Shelley, d. 1554, Master of the Household to Henry VIII., Edward VI., and Queen Mary, and his wife Joan, d. 1553.
North-east of Newhaven lie the three contiguous villages of Denton, South Heighton and Tarring-Neville, which are worth visiting. They have been commemorated by the jesters of the Downs as " Heighton, Denton and Tarring all begin with an A." Bishopstone, which may be easily reached from Newhaven, has a remarkable church. The tower rises in four stages, each gradually diminishing in diameter. The chancel is in two divisions, with Norman and English arches. Observe the curious porch, and the Saxon sun-dial over the door, lettered with the name of some Saxon king, Eadric, who was probably its builder. A stone slab, inscribed with a